- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Melt the butter.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the 2 egg yolks and the buttermilk until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour in the liquid mixture, and stir until just barely mixed.
- Add the melted butter and mix until just combined.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, whip the egg white until soft peaks form.
- Fold into the batter.
- Ladle 1/4 cup (for smallish pancakes) to 1/2 cup (for large pancakes) of the batter onto a preheated griddle or non-stick pan.
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the underside of the pancakes are golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Turn them over and cook until done, about 2-4 minutes longer.
More delicious recipes