- Yield 2 servings
- 15 minutes
- Rating: ★★★★★
- FOR THE MATZO BREI:
- 2 sheets matzo
- 2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Large pinch fine sea salt, more to taste
- TO MAKE IT SAVORY:
- Large pinch black pepper
- Chopped chives, for serving
- TO MAKE IT SWEET:
- 1 tablespoon Demerara sugar, more to taste
- Honey or maple syrup, for serving
Under cool running water, rinse matzo sheets until they are quite wet. Set it aside and let sit to soften while you prepare the pan.
Place a large, preferably nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add butter. Once it melts and the foam subsides, break matzo sheets into bite-size pieces and add to pan. Sauté matzo in butter until it browns all over, about 2 minutes.
Add eggs, salt and pepper (if you’re making the dish savory) to pan and scramble the mixture until it is just set but still light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with sugar (if you’re making it sweet) and toss well.
Serve matzo brei sprinkled with salt and topped with chives (savory), or with salt, additional sugar and maple syrup (sweet).